Cusp This!

Monday, February 06, 2006

News

I first found out about this from the Daily Dave. It reminds me of this story. Now, I like to think of myself as an open-minded individual, but I can't help but think this behavior is really stupid. I can't seem to condemn it as a bad thing that no one was killed over the whole Piss Christ National Endowment for the Arts thing.

Funny thing: it just so happens that I heard a related conversation on the China Town Bus to Philly this weekend. This very loud and nasal girl who could not have been more than 19 was sitting behind me and talking very loudly to a guy who it seems goes to college with her. They talked the whole two hour trip. Luckily, I had my iPod to mostly drown them out. At the end of the ride the conversation veered from Chinese New Year to Christmas to Religion. The girl proclaimed herself an atheist and that being an atheist means that one does not believe in God and that they think Priests and Nuns are "wasting their lives." She went on to announce that someone should tell them that they are wasting their lives and that they should give it up and be "having fun." Luckily, and for the first time, they boy (who I think until that moment may have been trying to get in this loud-mouth's pants) said, "Well, here in America we believe in religious freedom and you can't just throw people out of their church." She bellowed back that she knew, but they were just "wasting their lives."

I decided not to join the dialogue with, "Do you really think that Mother Theresa wasted her life?" Because regardless of the yodeler's answer I would have said, "Then keep your Goddamn voice down."

I wonder if that makes me a hypocrite for feeling like the lives on all those trampled Muslims were wasted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home