Cusp This!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

2.0 strikes again

I'm on a budget. Did I tell you that? I now actually keep track of what I do with my money. It does take away some of the mystery. I used to look at my credit card statement and think "What the fuck was Azuri? My identity has been stolen!" I would then get an adrenaline spike, relive the past few weeks and realize it was the name of some random bar I went to. The upside of having a budget is that I feel like I suddenly understand myself better. It's like plotting the migratory movements of birds--yes I know that's a ridiculously weak metaphor, but I'm still on my pain killers from wisdom tooth extraction.

It's also easier to say no to things I don't want to do. "I would totally see the DaVinci code with you, but it would have to wait til next week. See I just started this budget thing..." and of course no one in New York plans far enough ahead to do next week and I'm off the Ron Howard hook!

It's also a great way to combat some bad habits. I've quit getting breakfast out. I eat instant oatmeal at my desk. It's much more healthy and gives me an extra ten minutes in the morning to not rush out the door. If I didn't have a budget I would probably say, forget it and not take the time to go to the store and spend more time money and calories on an egg and cheese wrap 5 times a week.

That's my budget story. Who knows, I may have kick started this whole side of my personality--maybe I'll start to be really responsible.

p.s. I have a date tonight with the MD from the plane, and I'm going to let him pay for dinner, because, let's face it, I'm on a budget.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home