Cusp This!

Saturday, June 03, 2006


I had my wisdom teeth out yesterday and I think it went very well. I flew out from NY in the evening on what was supposed to be a direct flight to Hometown, TN, but the storm cancelled my flight. Luckily I got there quite early because I got to LGA by taking the N to queens and transferring to the M60 bus. I had no idea how long it would take but played it safe. When I arrived the representative from the airline, Kevin, told me my flight was cancelled and I explained that I had surgery scheduled and needed to get home. I got rushed to a flight to Atlanta that then sat on the runway for 4 hours. Luckily Kevin put me next to two of the most interesting people I have ever met and my mom's personal favorite: doctors.

They actually were on their way to a conference for cancer drugs in Atlanta and were co-workers. One a recent grad MD and the other a PhD in chemistry. They seemed to be good friends and we talked from 8:20 when I got on the plane until 2:20 am when it actually landed. When there was a lull in the conversation, around 1 am we played the age old card game Egyptian Rat Fuck--remember that one? How much fun. I also learned some new vocabulary words I intend to use constantly: sub-therapeutic, bifurcate, and dehydrogenate.

My connecting flight to Hometown left Atlanta at 8:30 am. So I wondered the ATL airport for a bit then curled up on the floor with one of the free airplane blankets. I have a sneaking suspicion that those are made entirely of dryer lint.

I arrived in hometown at 9:20 am and my surgery was scheduled for 10 am. We would have totally made it to, but I called the office on the way, my Dad and I feeling like really important, rushed people and they were running a bit behind so Dad and I got a bagel. It's so beautiful here I just wish there were less SUVs and chain stores.

When I got to the Doctor's office I was instantly comforted by his entire staff calling me honey and sweetheart. There's really nothing like a bunch of strangers calling you intimate names with no hesitation. I miss that sometimes.

Then I got laughing gas--that was a new one. I didn't giggle very much because I was concentrating on breathing deeply, then they put me under, and the next thing I remember was being told to "Wake up, honey" and my dad walking me to the car. They sent us over directly for a milkshake that I had maybe two spoonfuls of to take my medicine. Which my dad, always a gentleman, pointed out was all over my chin. Then we came home and Leonardo DiCaprio's Man in the Iron Mask was on cable and I promptly passed out.

Since then, so far so good. Not a lot of bleeding, I feel pretty with it, and I'm rocking this cute little Ice-Pack head wrap. My mom is out of town for the day teaching at a yoga seminar and my dad and I have no real plans but to hang out and check our email together. I'm really happy to be home.


Post a Comment

<< Home