Cusp This!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

15 hours

I was politically active for about 15 hours yesterday. E’s friend, BO was the volunteer coordinator for one of the primary campaigns, and had sent out an email asking for volunteer help weeks ago. E forwarded it to me two days after we broke up. We both ended up volunteering and being assigned to a polling place on Amsterdam and 102nd. We meet a lot of really interesting people also electioneering and survived each other’s company very well. I was again reminded that I don’t want to be in a relationship with E, but I sure would like to (theoretically) fuck his brains out. I then had nightmares about him all night. I assume that was just the natural result of 15 hour E detox.

Nothing particularly stupid was said, shockingly. During our lunch break we saw a movie, El Crimen Perfecto, which was very good. All in all it was a good time.

As for the campaigning, we were threatened repeatedly by a homeless man who warned us about our candidate’s ‘dark side.’ We also saw a man with a stomach goiter larger than almost any pregnant woman I’ve seen. He was lying on the concrete looking like he might give birth and moaning. Another homeless man came up and poked him in his bloated terrifying stomach with a cane, laughing, ‘I’ll stomp your mother-fucking stomach mother-fucker.’ We all watched on in horror. I finally went into the polling place to get an NYPD officer.

By the time the cop went to talk to him, the poking man was gone. I thanked the cop saying, ‘we just didn’t know if we should call an ambulance or what to do.’ ‘He’s inebriated’ the officer shrugged. The goiter-ed man was taken outside of the electioneering area and in about 45 minutes, was taken away on a stretcher by an ambulance. It was perhaps an hour after that that he walked back in on his own.

On the other side of things, there was a dad practicing baseball with his two little boys, my guesses on their age were 9 and 8, and they were really good and adorable. It’s amazing the things you see when you stand on a block in New York for approximately 15 hours with your ex-boyfriend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home